Nassau County/North Jax: Prepare for Hurricane Irma
SERVPRO Fernandina Beach/Yulee/North Jax wants everyone to be prepared for Hurricane Irma; Our partner, the American Red Cross, offers these tips to help you get ready.
- Talk with your family about what to do if the hurricane strikes. Discussing hurricanes ahead of time helps reduce fear, particularly for younger children.
- Make sure you have access to NOAA radio broadcasts. Find an online NOAA radio station. Search for a NOAA radio app in your app store. Purchase a battery-powered or hand-crank NOAA radio in the Red Cross Store.
- Keep insurance policies, documents, and other valuables in a safe-deposit box. You may need quick, easy access to these documents. Keep them in a safe place less likely to be damaged if a hurricane causes flooding.
- Take pictures on a phone and keep copies of important documents and files on a flash drive that you can carry with you on your house or car keys.
- Protect windows with permanent storm shutters or invest in one-half inch marine plywood that is pre-cut to fit your doors and windows.
- Identify a place to store lawn furniture, toys, gardening tools and trash cans (away from stairs and exits) to prevent them from being moved by high winds and possibly hurting someone.
- Clear loose and clogged rain gutters and downspouts to prevent flooding and unnecessary pressure on the awnings.
Call us at 904-729-2401 if we can be of help or you suffer flooding or water damage.