How To Make A Home Fire Escape Plan
Source: National Fire Protection Association
On average, there are 358,000 home fires each year in the U.S. with 12,300 injuries. Having a home fire escape plan will reduce the chance of fire-related injuries. Follow these steps to create yours.
- Draw a map of your home. Show all doors and windows.
- Mark all of the smoke alarms with “SA”. Smoke alarms should be in each sleeping room, outside each sleeping area, and on every level of the home.
- Visit each room. Find two ways out.
- All windows and doors should open easily. You should be able to use them to get outside.
- Make sure your home has smoke alarms. Push the test button to make sure each alarm is working.
- Pick a meeting place outside. It should be in front of your home. Everyone will meet at the meeting place.
- Make sure your house or building number can be seen from the street.
- Talk about your plan with everyone in your home.
- Learn the emergency phone number for your fire department.
- Practice your home fire drill!
If you suffer smoke or fire damage to your home, SERVPRO of Fernandina Beach/Jacksonville Northeast can help. Call us at 904.729.2401.