10 Tips for Preventing Home Water Damage
Face it, friends, water is not your home’s friend. Water can wreak havoc on a home and cause catastrophic damage.
Here are a few statistics about water damage:
- The average home water damage insurance claim averages $6,965
- The average age of a failed washing machine supply hose is only 8.7 years
- 75% of water heaters fail before they are 12 years old
- 37% of US homeowners claim to have suffered losses from water damage
Given these statistics, it just makes sense for homeowners to be proactive and do what they can to avoid costly water damage. Read on for some tips that might help you avoid water damage in your Jacksonville area home.
Tip to Prevent Water Damage to Your Home
- Repair any noticeable drips. A little drip can turn into a big problem if ignored.
- Check your roof periodically and repair any loose or damaged shingles. This is especially important after storms.
- If you live in an older home and you are unsure of the material of your plumbing lines, have a plumber do a checkup. Some of the older pipes, especially those made of polybutylene, are likely to burst with age.
- If you notice your sinks and toilets aren’t draining like they used to, get a plumber to come inspect it. The last thing you want is a wastewater backup in your home.
- Keep your rain gutters cleaned out. You don't want water sitting on or near your roof for extended periods of time.
- Be sure your yard slopes away from your foundation. If you notice water pooling around your home foundation, then you need to fix it.
- If you’ve noticed a recent change in your water bill, take note and investigate. You may have a hidden leak that could cause a bigger problem down the road.
- Turn off your water when you are going to be gone overnight. Your home should have a main shutoff that should be easy to access. It’s also important you know where this is in case of an emergency.
- Don’t plant trees too close to your house. Tree roots can damage foundations and septic systems.
- Check your washing machine, dishwasher, and refrigerator hoses annually. If they are worn, replace them. Old, brittle hoses are one of the most frequent causes of water damage for homeowners.
If you do wind up with water in your home, it’s important you contact a water damage company right away to avoid mold growth and protect as much of your home as possible. The technicians at SERVPRO are trained experts. We will work with you and your insurance company to ensure everything gets back to the way it was. Contact us 24-7 and we will get started drying out and repairing your home.